Out of 425 seats in medical college open to everyone, 332 go to reserved category students (378 if you include 28 backward Christians and 18 backward Muslims):
Out of 1,368 medical seats available for distribution in the first phase of admissions, 425 are in the open category since Tamil Nadu has a total reservation of 69%, which leaves 31% for open competition. Of these 425 seats, 378 have gone this year to candidates belonging to communities covered by quotas but who made it in the general category on their merit. They account for 88.94% of the open seats.
Of those from underdeveloped communities who have made it through the open quota , as many as 244 are backward class candidates and 60 from the most backward group. In addition, there are 27 scheduled caste candidates and one from a scheduled tribe. The rest comprise Christians (28) and Muslims (18) who come from disadvantaged groups who also enjoy a quota of 3.5% each in the backward class category.
* * *
I am not at all sympathetic to this kind of broad, general attacks on affirmative action policies (particularly when they are based on stuff like "oh, it's just not good for the beneficiaries' self esteem"), but the following observation is so striking that it makes me want to go read Marc Galanter's work on affirmative action:
Marc Galanter [in his 1984 book Competing Equalities] points out that, in Tamil Nadu, the highest of the so-called ‘backward classes’ legally entitled to preferences, constituting 11% of the total ‘backward classes’ population in the state, received almost half of all jobs and university admissions set aside for these classes. [Link]
* * *
Finally, this news item is noteworthy simply because of certain interesting arguments used by one potential beneficiary of reservations in his case against the 30 percent quota in TN government jobs for women:
The petitioner, a most backward class candidate who had applied for Group-I services in August last year, said the horizontal reservation of 30 per cent for women candidates was unconstitutional as the discrimination was based on sex.
Noting that the reservation , provided for under Section 21 of the Tamilnadu State and Subordinate Service Rules, ran counter to Article 16(2) of the Constitution , Vijayaraghavan said it would help women candidates with less marks to enter the services.